ity

Friday 23 November 2012

'My Husband Behaves Like Animal' - Wife Tells Court


A 35-year old trader on Thursday pleaded with the Grade ‘B’ Customary Court, Orile-Agege, Lagos, to dissolve her 15-year old marriage on the grounds of frequent beating and threat to life.
The petitioner, Bidemi Tijani, who lives at 5, Power Line St., Orile-Agege, told the court that her husband behaves like an animal.
“My husband will be mistaken for a beast when he is beating me because he hits any part of my body and does not care if the beating can result in death.
“He treated me like a slave when I was in his house and I didn’t have rest of mind; I lived in fear all through my years with him.

“My husband derives pleasure in beating me, I can say that he sees it as a thing of joy and you see this fulfilment in him after beating me,” she said.
The mother of three children who are aged between six and 13 years, told the court that she left her husband’s house when he took a knife and wanted to stab her.
“I left his house in December 2011, but when I was going, he did not allow my children to go with me.
“I am happy where I am; I have regained my freedom; I want the court to dissolve the marriage and grant me the custody of my children.
“My husband used to come to my shop to beat me and he promised to kill me for leaving his house,” she said.
Responding, Kazeem Tijani (43), a businessman, who lives at 5, James Okiki St., Orile-Agege, told the court that his wife was promiscuous.
“When she was in my house, she used to go out at will and come back late in the night without explanation.
“It was after she left my house that I discovered that she was seeing a particular man while in my house, and she eventually moved in with him.
“She is living in that her concubine’s house, so I support the dissolution; I cannot eat what another man has tasted.
“I want the custody of my children; I don’t want to release my children to her so that they won’t take after her,” he said.
The Court president, Mr Joseph Adewusi, told the couple to maintain the peace and adjourned the case to 29 November for further hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment