ity

Tuesday 25 September 2012

My Husband Is An Ingrate – Wife Tells Court

A 35-year-old businesswoman, Taiwo Fasuyi, has urged an Oshodi Customary Court in Lagos to dissolve her 11-year-old marriage to her husband, Rotimi, describing him as an ingrate.


The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Taiwo had filed the divorce suit on June 29, where she accused her husband of infidelity and battery.

The petitioner told the court that in spite of her `trouble’ catering for the family after her man lost his job over two years ago, her reward had been regular beatings.

“There was a time I complained about his irresponsible behaviour and he beat me and I had a miscarriage of a two-month-old pregnancy.

“He will not allow me to keep or visit friends and he suspects me whenever I make or receive calls,’’ Taiwo said.

She also accused Rotimi of being promiscuous, adding that she moved out of their matrimonial home because there was no more love between them.

However, Rotimi, 43, in his testimony, attributed the crisis in the marriage to the loss of his job in a textile company two years ago.

“Because I lost my job two years ago, my wife no longer respects or obeys me. Whenever I try to caution or take decisions in the home, she would shun me.

“I expect my wife to understand my situation, but she would always get on my nerves,’’ he said.

According to him, since the loss of job, Taiwo often abuses, curses and compares him with other men.

He also alleged that his estranged wife once threatened him with a knife and slept around with men.

The respondent said that on one occasion he overheard her talking to one of her male companions, and in anger he snatched the phone from her and smashed it on the ground.

“I overheard my wife talking to another man on phone. She was calling the man my dear. When I confronted her, she could not even deny it.

“I destroyed her handset and beat her out of annoyance which made her to move out of our matrimonial home,’’ he said.

Rotimi, who said he was not ready for a divorce, told the court that he had since begged Taiwo to forgive him.

But Taiwo insisted that she no longer love her husband and pleaded with the court to dissolve the marriage.

NAN reports that the couple, who reside at No. 28, Ade-Idowu St., Aviation Estate, Lagos, got married in 2001 and are blessed with two male children.

The court president, Alhaja A.I. Olorunimbe, said that there was still room for settlement and pleaded with Taiwo to forgive her husband for the sake of the children.

The court urged the couple’s parents to settle the dispute and reconcile them and adjourned the case till October 24

No comments:

Post a Comment